The problem remains that many caregivers don’t understand how quickly temperatures inside their cars can reach life-threatening levels. Children’s body temperatures rise up to five times faster than adults. People often underestimate how quickly temperatures rise in a hot car. Take a look at the rise of the inside of a car versus the outside ambient temperature:
Average elapsed time and inside vehicle temperature rise compared to ambient outdoor temperature:
• 10 minutes = 19 degree increase
• 20 minutes = 29 degree increase
• 30 minutes = 34 degree increase
• 1 hour = 43 degree increase
• Over 1 hour = 45 to 55 degree increase
Note this important fact: a body core temperature of 107 degrees is usually fatal.
Stay safe and stay responsible!